West Memphis Criminal Defense Firm Guards Defendants’ Rights
Arkansas attorneys fight to protect clients’ freedom and property
At Ziegenhorn & Bernard, An Association of Lawyers, we represent people who have been arrested or charged with criminal offenses of all types and degrees of seriousness, ranging from traffic infractions to violent crimes. No one should face criminal charges without a capable defense attorney at their side. Depending on the type of case, our experienced defense lawyers can help arrange bail, seek charge reduction or dismissal, provide representation at trial, seek abatement of punishment and pursue other post-conviction relief. We appear in criminal court for clients throughout the West Memphis area.
Seasoned attorneys combat criminal charges at all levels
Our firm’s dedicated criminal defense attorneys fight to make sure your rights are protected from the moment you are arrested. We defend against charges falling into these categories:
- Felonies — Crimes such as murder, assault, sexual assault, armed robbery, arson and burglary are the most serious and carry the most severe penalties. A person convicted of a felony is sentenced to serve at least one year in a state or federal prison and may be committed for life, in addition to heavy fines. Theft of a large amount of money, coercing a person to engage in prostitution, drug trafficking, domestic violence and aggravated assault are all felonies.
- Misdemeanors — Misdemeanors are crimes punishable by up to a year in prison plus sometimes hefty fines. A misdemeanor conviction on your criminal record can also limit your employment options and have other negative consequences. Common misdemeanors in Arkansas are DUI/DWI, reckless driving, small-amount theft, prostitution, possession of drug paraphernalia, shoplifting, trespassing and disorderly conduct.
Whether you are charged as a first-time offender or on subsequent counts, we do everything legally possible to avoid a conviction or to reduce its gravity and penalties.
Skilled defense for a wide range of criminal charges
Our defense attorneys are experienced trial advocates and negotiators who can take on a variety of criminal charges, including:
- Assault —Arkansas maintains four levels of assault charges, ranging from misdemeanors to felonies, depending on whether a firearm or other weapon was involved or whether the alleged victim is designated as a protected person, such as a spouse or child of the accused.
- Sexual assault —Sexual assault charges in Arkansas vary in severity, based on the age of the alleged victim, the type of sexual contact alleged, whether the conduct involved violence, threats or coercion and whether the accused held a position of authority over the alleged victim, such as a teacher or elder family member.
- DUI/DWI — We defend drivers on DWI charges, which in Arkansas are based on blood alcohol levels of above 0.08 percent or 0.02 percent if the driver is a minor.
- Traffic offenses —We seek positive resolutions of traffic charges like reckless driving, driving on a suspended license, running a red light or leaving the scene of an accident.
We also assist clients who are seeking to have their criminal records expunged or sealed.
Consult a dedicated criminal defense firm to schedule a free initial consultation.
Whatever the severity of the criminal charge you face, our skilled defense lawyers can investigate the strength of the evidence against you and fight for your rights. To set up your initial consultation, call Ziegenhorn & Bernard, An Association of Lawyers at 870-551-3178 or contact us online.