West Memphis Lawyers Look Out for Clients’ Rights in Divorce
Arkansas family law firm protects interests of parents and children
At Ziegenhorn & Bernard, An Association of Lawyers, we represent clients in matrimonial proceedings throughout the West Memphis area. We have the knowledge and experience to help people end marriages or separate and to work out the details of such serious matters as property division, spousal support, alimony, domestic violence, orders of protection, child custody, visitation, child support obligations and insurance and pension plans. We also prepare prenuptial as well as postnuptial agreements.
Resolving financial concerns fairly and efficiently
We know how seriously a divorce can affect a person’s finances, now and in the future. Our lawyers work diligently to ensure fair outcomes in the financial aspects of divorce litigation:
- Division of marital property — Arkansas is an equitable distribution state, which means that marital property must be divided fairly between the divorcing spouses. We try to fashion a plan for distribution that both sides can agree on. If not, then the court will distribute one-half of the marital property to each spouse unless there are factors making that division inequitable. Those factors include the length of the marriage, the spouses’ earning capacities and the contributions of each spouse to acquiring and preserving the marital property.
- Disposing of separate property — Exempt from equitable distribution is property owned by each spouse prior to the marriage and property acquired during the marriage by bequest, gift, devise or descent. The property either spouse acquires with the proceeds of separate property is also exempt. However, Arkansas allows separate property to be included in the marital estate if the court finds a special showing of need by the non-titled spouse. We apply our skill and retain experts to make such a showing, or to contest it, as the case may be.
Amicable divorces are usually beneficial for both parties, but we make sure our clients are not giving up valuable property rights for the sake of a faster resolution.
Making parenting and support issues a top priority
In cases of divorce or separation where there are children involved, establishing a parenting plan is one of the most important considerations. We advise clients on the significance of decisions related to:
- Child custody and visitation rights — Whether you are seeking sole custody, joint custody or visitation or grandparental rights, we can make a persuasive case on your behalf.
- Child support — Enforcing parents’ obligations to support their children is a major focus of a divorce case. We assist in fashioning support arrangements that are fair to all parties as well as in requesting support modifications where there is a change of circumstances.
- Spousal support and temporary support — We help secure spousal support in appropriate circumstances, such as where one spouse has been the primary caretaker of children or has financially supported the other spouse through advanced education.
Protecting your parental rights and the irreplaceable bond you share with your children is always at the forefront of our advocacy in divorce cases.
Consult an accomplished Arkansas divorce firm to schedule a free initial consultation.
Whether your divorce is amicable or contested, we are committed to protecting your rights. To set up your initial consultation, call Ziegenhorn & Bernard, An Association of Lawyers, at 870-551-3178 or contact us online.